Monday, October 15, 2012

Never Been a Fan of Goodbyes

The decision has been made, I'm going home.

I know your probably wondering why just two posts down I was talking about having faith and enduring to the end, but those phrases have come to mean very different things the past few days for me.

The pain in my stomach has not subsided much and I have been spending many sleepless nights wondering what would be the best thing for me to do. I have prayed countless times and hours. I tried picking between staying and going and then asking for a conformation but none came for a while.

The other day while I was praying amidst my exhaustion, I fell asleep. I woke up a few hours later with a phrase repeating in my head "McKae, I think it's time for you to go home."

Now, I know we all have our own ways of receiving advice and inclinations, mine usually comes in the form of an awful knot in my stomach when something needs to change. Seeing as there were many other things going on in my stomach at the time, I probably wouldn't have noticed the feeling, so Heavenly Father tried a different route.

The prompt hit me like a ton of bricks. Yes, I had been wondering if that would be the right thing for me to do, but it surprised me how right it felt.

I know that this project that Aria and I have been sent here to participate in, is truly inspired. President Gordon B. Hinckley stated that this country will rise up despite its tragic recent history. One way that these wonderful people can reach their fullest potential is through education. Natalie recognized this need and did everything in her power to make this possible and I am honored to be a part of it.

I can't say that my time here has been of any or much help to this project and these deserving people but I know, without a doubt, that they have been of more help to me than I deserve. No matter how short my stay has been, I have learned so very much. I have learned that no matter how dire our situations may be, there is always reason to smile. I learned that these little children are the dearest of angels and they will grow up to be very kind and inspirational people. And I learned to never forget that Heavenly Father has a plan for each and every one of us, and most of the time it may not be the plan we have for ourselves :).

That's where faith and enduring to the end come into play. I now have to have the faith that this decision is what's best for me, and that I need to get feeling better so that I can go on and help further at a later time. And I have to realize that enduring to the end could mean that I need to keep faith in His plan for me and my life, no matter where it takes me.

     I want to thank Botevy and Venneth for having the courage to take these kids in and making them, as well as us, part of your family.
     I want to thank the kids for being so darn cute and giving me countless hugs.
     I want to thank Natalie for starting this project and being such a go-getter and an amazingly understanding person.
     I want to thank Aria for being such a good sport and an fantastic person, I couldn't have made it this far without you sis. And, I know that you are going to do wonders with these kids and this project. Your pioneer ancestors would be so proud!
     I want to thank Yaya and Sunny for taking care of me and being the best big sisters a girl could ask for.
     I want to thank my dear Mother for listening to my whiney self, and still loving me anyways.
     I want to thank my Dad, Sister, and Brothers for being the best family and supporting me in my accomplishments as well as my failures.
     I want to thank Kathryn Hadley for her to-die-for cinnamon rolls
     I want to thank my little home town of Connell for buying those cinnamon rolls and helping me raise the money for this opportunity, I couldn't have made it here without you.
     I want to thank my dear friends in Hawaii, I have the best support system in the world.
and I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I couldn't have done it without that help as well.

So, Aloha 'Oe Cambodia.
Until we meet again.

1 comment: