Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Siem Reap Weekend

Our first weekend was seriously one of the best weekends of my life. Like literally, I'm not just saying that because its one of the only weekends I've ever blogged about.

We evaluated/pre-tested the kids Friday morning, in order to figure out where they are at, English-wise, so we have an idea of where to start. This part was tricky. See, Wizard has donated curriculum to our foundation (ICHope) so that we will be able to teach English to the kids efficiently. But, we have not received that curriculum yet, and wont until the middle/end of October. So we're over here grasping at straws to come up with organized and efficient ways to teach the kids without confusing them. This is super difficult seeing as Aria and both have never been trained in teaching English. She is a Music major and I am studying International Cultural Studies. But we're learning. 


That night a group of us went to the river-side of Phnom Penh to wait for the night bus that would take us to Angkor. Our group consisted of Me, Aria, Natalie, Botevy, her little 5 year old son, Vanneth (the other founder of the orphanage), Yaya (Botevy's daughter), Botevy's mother, and Pattica, Chet, and Li Nah who are all three kids from the orphanage. A while ago Botevy was able to take the kids on a trip to Angkor but these three had other things going on at the time, so now it was their turn to go. And I'm so glad they came, it gave us time to get to know them in a different light.




Pattica is 18 and one of the smartest people I know. He can speak English very well and was the most amazing tour guide and translator for us. His goal is to go to college and study politics so that he can come back here and help develop his country for the better. He wants to, one day, rid his country of corruption. And if anyone can do it, this kid can. 



Chet is 15, he is such a sweetheart and has the most darling smile. Just being around this kid could make anyone happy. I'm so glad we got to spend the weekend with him. He is a quiet person but he seriously helps carry our class so much when we teach, he is picking up on everything super fast. 



And then there's little
Li Nah. Now this girl has seriously stolen my heart. She is the cutest little 8 year old Vietnamese girl I've ever met. She has the most open heart, and was holding our hands and hugging us the whole entire time. She is a quiet little one, but after the weekend she was talking to us a lot in Khmer. We barely understood her at all but we were so stoked she was saying something. So yeah, I've decided I'm taking her home with me ;).

While waiting for the bus we went and got ice cream (like the good gelato kind... for only a dollar), watched a little concert, and river-danced next to the river (ironic) outside an Irish pub. 




I was so stoked when I saw what the night bus was. It's a double decker bus just like the one on Harry Potter! Well aside from the beds being on wheels and the shrunken head in the window, it was practically the same thing. So we spent the 6+ hour trip to Siem Reap sleeping on the bus. My neck killed afterwards but it was an awesome experience.



 Top Left: Pattica Top Right: Vanneth, Li Nah, and Chet
Bottom Left: Botevy, Natalie Bottom Right: Yaya, Botevy's son, Botevy's Mother

We got into Siem Reap and went right to our hotel. Nataile, Aria, Li Nah, and I all walked down the street a bit to find food and found this little cafe place with the BEST pizza in the world. Seriously, I think it was even better than the pizza I had in Italy. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Botevy hired us two tuk tuks for the entire weekend, who were both really sweet. Ours looked like a Cambodian version of the guy off of Thirteen Going on Thirty.

The afternoon after we arrived we went to the Cambodian Cultural Village and spent the entire evening there. It's a lot like the PCC, with lots of shows, dancing, and stories. Botevy and Pattica translated for us, so we understood slightly what was going on. When we got to the night show and Botevy was translating to Natalie but I was too far away so her little son was filling me in by saying "They both died"..."But he's not dead, he's just sleeping". I don't think I understood any of the story, but man that kid is cute. 


After the night show went to the night market. It was way cool, there we're tons of little shops open and music playing throughout the streets. After walking around a bit we all decided to muster up our courage and get a fish foot massage. Aka, we stuck our feet in a tank of hundreds of fish and had them eat off us. Its probably the grossest thing and they probably feed us the fish later but it was pretty cool. 


The next morning we went to church at the local branch there. We got to wear those cool headphones that foreigners use while someone translates to them. The day before, we had met two sets of missionaries while we were driving by in the tuk tuk. We just happened to be stopping less than a block away so we went back and talked to them for a minute. One of them commented no how long it had been since he shook a girls hand. I keep forgetting they don't shake hands or wave much over here. Anyway, those same elders were the ones in the ward and the ones translating for us. I was excited when I saw them and subconsciously waved. I think it made them feel awkward. 

At church we also met this super sweet young couple who is living in west Singapore. The husband was teaching accounting down there was just visiting Siem Reap for the weekend, like us. It's so much fun meeting people from all over the world here. 

After church Aria, Pattica, Chet, and I all went to visit the old temples in Angkor. They were breathtaking. In that area there are about 200 temples, but we only went to see 3 or 4 of the most popular. First we visited Angkor Wat. Pattica was the most amazing tour guide, he knows his country's history like the back of his hand. He was able to look at each engraving and tell us what it was depicting, why it was made and how. He even told us the story of how Cambodia came to be. Apparently the Cambodia and Thailand cultures are almost exactly similar. 


Botevy, Yaya, and Venneth came to meet us for lunch outside the temple. I ate chicken heart. Before we ate, Pattica asked Aria and I "Do you know what this is?" as held up the kabob of unfamiliar pieces of meet. We both said no and that we probably don't want to know until after we eat them. Yep, ended up being a chicken heart, and its intestines. Cool. Aria also ate a chicken foot, well tried to, there's barely any meat on it. I dont think I could've done it... feet gross me out, even when they're not fried.

After lunch, us kids went off again to explore more temples. I believe the next one we went to was Angkor Tom, this one looks like what you'd see in the Jungle Book, it was beautiful! 

Apsara Dancer (there are hundreds of depictions of Apsara Dancers 
on the temple walls but not a single one is the same)

Third temple was one we weren't planning on visiting, but the Thirteen Going on Thirty tuk tuk dirver suggest we go see it because it had just opened up after being renovated. There's a stone bridge going up to that one and Pattica said if we chant what we want the whole way across the it will come true. Aria, Chet, and I said "Happy Happy Happy" all the way across while Pattica was chanting "Success" and something else in Khmer. 

Photo credit: Aria Een

You'll never guess what happened at this temple... I got honor coded. Aria and I had stayed in our church clothes that day and so I was wearing a dress that I thought was to my knees. But as we got over the bridge a guard stopped me and showed me a sign with a skirt and that red "No" sign on top of it. I was confused and he said my skirt was too short. I told him I was really sorry and asked if it would be ok if I kept it pulled down. He reluctantly said yes. Once I got in the temple I realized that a modest dress code is not only respectful but also essential to climbing all the very steep staircases inside. So I tried to make everyone climb up before me. lol.

The last temple we visited was Ta Prohm aka the Tomb Raider temple. I have never seen Tomb Raider but now I think I would like to. It was my favorite temple of them all and probably one of my favorite places in the world. See the trees have grown over, around, and through the temples; and it is absolutely breathtaking. To think that this temple had been around so long that these massive trees could take it over. As we were walking away Pattica told us that trees are protecting the temple, and he is completely right, without these trees the temple would have fallen to pieces completely. Its interesting how one person might see them as destructive but another can see them as constructive. 


The best part of the day was yet to come! We drove a by car on the way to the Ta Prohm that had a monkey on top of it, eating a banana. I freaked out, I was so excited. After Ta Prohm we saw a ton just on the side of the road, so the tuk tuk driver (now my favorite person in the entire world) pulled over next to them!!! One of the monkeys quickly came up and climbed on our tuk tuk next to Chet, I died inside, I want to cuddle with it so bad. Pattica threw it a banana and it jumped off and ran to eat it. But then there was this fat old one who was sitting on the curb just chillin, peeling a banana too. He reminded me of an old grandpa sitting in a rocking chair. We watched it for a little while, while I was hyperventilating with excitement. Then, sadly, we had to leave but I was seriously grinning ear to ear the entire way back to the hotel. 

We met this American family staying in the room next to us who lives more in the rural areas of Cambodia. They decided to visit a very poor community and help implement health care and have been there since 2001 I believe. They sew up wounds, treat snake bites, etc. They showed us pictures and I had to try and politely look away. I have a very weak stomach in general but especially when it comes to blood and wounds. Aria took it like a champ though. I really really admire doctors and nurses and anyone else who can help in that way because I honestly don't think I ever could. It was really fun to talk to them though and it see what they think of living here in Cambodia for so long. 

The next morning we left to go back home. This time the seats in the bus were regular and Aria and I got to sit in the top front seats. Which was way cool. I have officially ridden on a double decker bus. 



So that was our weekend in Siem Reap. It was so much fun! Being a tourist and sightseeing is one of the greatest experiences ever. But, getting back to everyday life in Phnom Penh was really great too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment